Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Dead Head



When I was in high school I was a Dead Head. I saw them at the Hartford Civic Center and the New Haven Coliseum. Then I went to college and started listening to SST bands. I lapsed while living in Los Angeles, where I saw them at the Sports Arena in 1994. Then I went back into denial until about four years ago when I went to see Phil Lesh and Friends in Hersey, PA. Since then I have come to accept that I am a Dead Head. While my loved ones have come to accept my condition, they fear it will get worse. But while I have no intention of getting dancing bears tatooed around my bicep, or glued to my car, I still crave The Dead sometimes.

That's where the collection on archive.org comes in handy. Last year, in response to a request from The Dead Organization (or whatever their business arm is called), the sound board recordings were made available in streaming media format only, as opposed to files for downloading that had been available previously. But thanks to Audio Hijack, I can now listen to hours of Grateful Dead shows. Just as long as I keep my headphones on, that is ; )

1 comment:

stereogab said...

Yeah, you better leave your headphones on, hippie!